Bacolod, also known as the City of Smiles, is the capital of the province of Negros Occidental and is considered as the 2nd most populated city in the Visayas region, next to Cebu. Within the Visayas region, Bacolod is also second to Cebu in terms of cool hangout places and yummy food destinations. It’s also home to some really great festivals that are worth an experience. Simply put, there are seriously awesome Bacolod spots to check out.
In this article, we’ll give you 5 solid Bacolod spots to visit. Whether you swing by this laidback Philippine province in October during Masskara or during anytime of the year, you’ve already got a list of places you need to head to.
- The Ruins – First up is a very popular tourist attraction when you visit Bacolod – The Ruins. Also called as the Taj Mahal of the province because of its look and history, The Ruins is a 10-15 minute drive from Lacson Street, Bacolod’s main city. It’s a big compound where the mansion of Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson from the 1900’s was built. It has multiple structures where you can take photos. Roam around the compound and even lay down a picnic mat in the large open garden.It is best to visit the Ruins at night because the mansion is adorned with night-lights, perfect for a photo taking opportunity with friends and family. A few years back, The Ruins also opened a restaurant inside where visitors got to enjoy some hot coffee and Bacolod delicacies.
- Lakawon Beach – Got a a few hours for a road trip and a boat ride while in the city? Then you’ve definitely got to go to Lakawon beach – an amazing nearby beach with pure white sand that can challenge Boracay’s. It is a resort where you can rest and relax, enjoy pristine blue waters and get baked under the sun.The resort has multiple rooms but it is also open for those budget conscious travellers who are comfortable camping out in tents. In this resort, you can enjoy different activities such as kayaking, paddle boarding and jet-ski riding. Plus, they have their own floating bar, TawHai, perfect for some sunset drinks with your buddies. If you’re looking for a quick stop at Lakawon, the resorts also offers day tour packages where you can stay at their cabanas and cottages.
- Mambukal Resort – For a different kind of R&R, you can also check out Mambukal Mountain Resort. It is a haven for those craving an adventurous getaway. 1,200 meters above sea level, visitors can enjoy man made amenities. The biggest attraction would be the Seven Waterfalls of Mambukal. It requires around 2 hours of trekking but getting to the place would be simply breathtaking.After that challenging trek to see the waterfalls, why not relax in the warm sulfur dipping pool or more popularly called as hot springs? Stay for a couple of hours and get recharged for another day ahead.
- Silay City – When travelling to Bacolod, your plane lands in Silay City, which is around 30-45 minutes away from Bacolod. To avoid confusion, Silay City is not in Bacolod as it is an entirely different city in Negros Occidental.Driving around Silay, you can visit different ancestral houses that are very rich in tradition and history. Silay City gives you that old and ancient feels and brings you back to the Spanish period. You can visit these ancestral houses and heritage sites. Some of the famous hunts would be Balay Negrense or also called as the Victor Gaston House, and San Diego Pro-Cathedral.
- Lacson Street – No trip is complete without trying the local delicacies that are popular in every province. When in Bacolod, every visitor is required to stroll around Lacson Street to enjoy what the city has to offer. This street has the best Bacolod spots to go to.Lacson Street can definitely satisfy a foodie’s hungry tummy. For Chicken Inasal, try Bacolod Chicken House. For yummy Batchoy, go to 21 and Pendy’s. For scrumptious desserts and sweets, Café Bob and Calea are the best places to go to.Lacson Street also houses some of the best accommodations in Bacolod City. If you’re finding a hotel to book for your stay, getting one in Lacson will absolutely make things easier for you. It really is the central part of Bacolod City.
Bacolod is definitely a must-visit in the Philippines. The place has so much to offer plus the people are beaming with positivity and sunny dispositions. So what are you waiting for? Book your flights now and experience these amazing Bacolod spots! The City of Smiles will definitely leave you smiling all around!
Click HERE for the cheapest domestic flights going to Bacolod!
Looking for HOTEL ACCOMMODATION in Bacolod? Search HERE.